'Gyan-ankur' = Seedlings of knowledge
Facts about our school
Gyanankur School is located in Kesnand village on the outskirts of Pune. At present, it has:
- 700 students from Nursery to Class 10, including 40 from a nearby Children's Home (with 3 batches having graduated from Class 10)
- 35 dedicated local teachers and 20 non-teaching staff
- Curriculum based on government (SSC) syllabus and textbooks, but enriched with holistic learning goals and hands-on learning activities
- A recently constructed 3-storey building with 26 rooms including 3 offices, a library with smart board, kitchen, science lab, and sports field
- 5 school buses that bring in children every morning, found to be key for regular attendance of rural girls especially. Thanks to our buses, we are able to reach children in 9 villages spanning a 15km radius into more interior rural areas, and are also able to help 55 children from 2 slums attend school
- A community development team to reach out to the most impoverished families and more distant villages, to support them in educating their children
Gyanankur School and its managing trust (Resurrection Education Society) were founded in 2004 by Mr. Argemiro Fernandes, an 86-year-old Indian philanthropist with a big heart. Mr. Fernandes was moved by the need expressed to him by his driver and others from Kesnand village about the lack of any quality English-medium education available for their children - a key barrier to their children's future opportunities. Mr. Fernandes funded the opening of a small pre-school consisting at the time of about 60 children and 3 teachers in a small rented bungalow. For 3 years the school grew but remained in dire need of strong leadership.
Gyanankur School is a project of Resurrection Education Society (RES), a registered charitable trust with annually audited reports and regular reporting to the Charity Commissioner. It was established in Pune and registered under the Bombay Trust Act 1950 bearing Registration number F- 20235 dated 09/09/2005. RES received permission from the Government of Maharashtra to run a school upto Class 10 under the following permission: Dep. Dir./ Higher/3/12/Self finance school/grant/ Pune div./2016/ 16252/55 dated 19th July 2016.